Lambeth College staff vote to walk out indefinitely

Staff at Lambeth College have voted to go on indefinite strike in a row over proposed changes to terms and conditions.

A ballot among University and College Union (UCU) members was supported by 89 per cent of voters —with turnout of 72 per cent.

The proposed strike plans mean that once the strike started, it could continue until the matter was resolved, and a statement from the UCU said the union had authorised £50 per day in strike pay for the duration of the strike.

The date of the start of the strike is expected to be announced on Tuesday.

UCU regional official Una O’Brien said: “The overwhelming mandate from UCU members at Lambeth, despite pressure from the college and the knowledge that this could be a long and bitter dispute, is quite remarkable.

“We hope that the college will now move away from confrontation and sit down with us to resolve this mess.”

The dispute was sparked last month when the college introduced new contracts for staff joining after April 1, which a UCU statement said would “leave them with bigger workloads, but less sick pay and fewer holidays”.

Lambeth College had previously taken out a court injunction preventing the one-day strike on May 1 from continuing indefinitely, on the grounds that the ballot paper did not make clear that the changed contracts would apply to new staff only.

Ms O’Brien said: “The college was wrong to resort to anti-union legislation in an effort to halt staff from taking legitimate strike action.

“Delaying the strike thanks to a technicality has done nothing to improve relations with staff and only hardens our members’ resolve in this fight to defend working conditions.”

The injunction meant the UCU was prevented from taking further strike action without re-balloting its members and the initial ballot, which was supported by 95 per cent of a 70 per cent turnout.

Mark Silverman, principal of Lambeth College, said: “We were pleased that the court intervened and ordered that indefinite industrial action could not commence on May 1.

“To have allowed it to have gone ahead would have been deeply damaging to the students, who are preparing for year end tests and the community that the college serves.

“UCU intended to inflict the maximum damage on the college and its students, and I am pleased that we were able to avoid that.

“I am only sorry that the Union would not accept the weight of our arguments, and forced us to take this step, spending hard pressed college funds on this legal dispute – although UCU was ordered to pay our costs.

“We wish UCU could see that the steps we are taking are in the interests of our students, and the long term interests of staff, and reflect our determination to transform the College into an outstanding educational organisation delivering, day in day out, excellent opportunities to our students.

“This is a critical time for learners, who are taking examinations, seeing final tutor support for successful completion of their courses.

“The right thing for learners right now would be for UCU to recommend that their teachers put the learners first and suspend strike action.”

Commissioner’s college visits hit double figures as plans for annual report are revealed

Further Education Commissioner Dr David Collins (pictured) has taken his tally of college reviews to 10, and will outline findings with an annual report this autumn.

The Department for Business, Innovation and Skills (BIS) revealed that Dr Collins has been Weymouth College, Bicton College, City of Wolverhampton College and Stratford-upon-Avon College, on top of the six visits already reported by FE Week.

Dr Collins’s role means he is called in to colleges when they receive a grade four “inadequate” rating from Ofsted, are presented with a notice of financial concern or fail to meet national performance standards.

All four of the colleges in the recent announcement had been given grade two or three ratings in their last inspections.

Dr David Collins

It was previously reported that Dr Collins had been to K College, Stockport College, City of Liverpool College, City of Bristol College, Lesoco and Barnfield College.

Summarised reports of the commissioner’s college visits are expected to start being being released by the end of the month, but a senior civil servant has revealed that Dr Collins would also be producing an annual report on his findings.

Jon Howlin, assistant director for vocational education, said during a speech to a Westminster Education Forum seminar yesterday (Thursday, May 22) on accountability in 16 to 19 education and training, that the first annual report was due out in the autumn.

After speaking about the process followed by Dr Collins and his advisers during inquiries, he acknowledged the need to make the process open and accountable.

He said: “The process has been operating since August 2013 and we have done around 10 cases at the moment. We do recognise the importance that the process is open and transparent, and the sector can learn the lessons from those who have gone through the process.

“We intend to publish a more detailed process which builds on this high level summary in the next few days so all colleges and institutions can see how this works.

“The commissioner will also produce an annual report setting out the lessons learned from his assessments and the impact, hopefully positive, of the intervention process.

“The report will be published in the autumn and sent to all colleges and institutions.”

It comes with the Department for Education (DfE) facing questions about the treatment of independent learning providers (ILPs) following a grade four, or inadequate, Ofsted inspection result.

Education Funding Agency senior manager Karen Murray told delegates that of seven “commercial and charitable”  providers — so possibly employer providers, as well as ILPs — graded inadequate, two had gone through a “recovery process” that allowed them to hold onto government training contracts whereas the remaining five, it is understood, lost their contracts because of the Ofsted grading.

The DfE is yet to respond on the issue.

Skills Funding Agency releases long-awaited online learning aim search engine

The Skills Funding Agency has produced its long-awaited and overdue online Learning Aims Reference System (Lars).

It is an online tool that allows providers to, among other things, look up qualification funding values.

And it went live today [click here for Lars] with learning aims data for the current academic year and also 2014/15.

It had been due out for the start of 2013/14 as part of the agency’s wider data collections and funding transformation programme.

A new funding information system (Fis) was also part of the revamp, but it has produced inaccurate reports. And Online Data Collection (OLDC) system replacement the Hub has also had problems.

But in November the agency conceded it was struggling to develop Lars in time for the R04 data return deadline the following month, and instead produced “Lars Lite” — which didn’t contain 2014/15 data.

However, there were reports that Lars Lite, a temporary downloadable database from the SFA, itself produced unreliable data.

The problems could now be over though, with an SFA spokesperson revealing that Lars was now live.

They said: “On Thursday, May 22, we will make a new learning aims search facility available in the Hub.”

They added: “This will replace Lars Lite and the simplified funding rates catalogue, which we will decommission in the coming months.

“We will also release an update to Fis to support the processing of 2014 to 2015 Individualised Learner Record (ILR) files alongside ILR files for 2013 to 2014. A reinstallation is not required.”

Lars helps providers’ Management Information System (MIS) officers check whether qualifications are eligible for funding, and how much per learner providers should receive.

LARS-WEBINAR-BANNER-1

 

Chelsea gold for Sparsholt

Sparsholt College students won gold at London’s Chelsea Flower Show with a recycling-themed garden.

The team of 21 extended diploma horticulture learners designed and built the garden, which portrays the lifecycle of a paper cup.

Student Jack Shilley, 18, said: “We are all on cloud nine… this year’s show will go down as one of the best weeks of my and many of my mates’ lives.”

The garden also won best exhibit in the show’s new Discovery area.

From left:  Lance Russell,  Dan Handley, and Jack Shilley, with Alan Titchmarsh after winning a gold medal at the Chelsea Flower Show.
From left: Lance Russell, Dan Handley, and Jack Shilley, with Alan Titchmarsh after winning a gold medal at the Chelsea Flower Show.

Lecturer and team leader Chris Bird said: “The team have worked very hard over the last nine months and for their huge efforts to result in a gold medal is absolutely tremendous. How better for these students to start their horticulture careers than as proud Chelsea medal winners?”

Picture caption, from left: Horticulture students Jack Shilley, aged 18, Lance Russell, 19, and Dan Handley, 21, with lecturer Chris Bird in their recycling-themed garden

ETF_FPS_campus-banner

 

 

 

Ex-Tomorrow’s World presenter makes college pit-stop

Former Tomorrow’s World presenter Maggie Philbin took part in a pit-stop challenge during a showcase event for skills training at Barking and Dagenham College.

Ms Philbin, who has also worked on other TV shows including This Morning and children’s show Multi-Coloured Swap Shop, was helped to change a car tyres by college motor vehicles studies lecturer Nick Jackman and motor vehicles technology students Thomas Cheung, Elliot Heritage and Ben Furlong, all aged 17.

More than 2,000 people attended the event, where they could watch demonstrations by hairdressing, cookery, dance and forensic science students and learn about careers the college’s courses prepare learners for.

Hairdressing student Simran Kaur gives a hair curling demonstration
Hairdressing student Simran Kaur gives a hair curling demonstration

Level three hairdressing student Simran Kaur, 18, showed visitors how to curl hair.

She said: “I love the idea of being creative and making people feel good about themselves. I’m doing my hairdressing course this year but then I want to do a business course so I can open my own salon.”

Picture caption: TV presenter Maggie Philbin takes part in a pit-stop challenge with, from left, Barking and Dagenham motor vehicles studies lecturer Nick Jackman and students Thomas Cheung, Elliot Heritage and Ben Furlong.

ETF_FPS_campus-banner

 

Busy Bella is making voices heard

Young people often get portrayed as not having a positive attitude and not contributing to society. But Cirencester Sixth Form College student Bella Allen Stevens is on a maission to change all that and make teenagers’ voices heard, writes Rebecca Cooney.

In 2012, just before starting a BTec performing arts diploma, Bella Allen Stevens, now aged 18, joined the National Citizenship Service (NCS), a government scheme helping young people develop life skills.

From there, Bella has given talks in the Houses of Parliament, is due to be featured in a TV documentary and is planning a trip to help communities in Zambia.

“I’d never heard of the NCS at all, until my head of Year 11 told us to get involved in the summer camp programme and I thought ‘why not?’” Bella told FE Week.

“It changed my life.”

After attending a team-building summer camp Bella’s college nominated her to be one of 100 NCS national ambassadors.

Bella with the cast of her play Stuck in Purgatory
Bella with the cast of her play Stuck in Purgatory

 

“The message I want to get across is teenagers aren’t the stereotype we’re viewed as, instead we change things — people in my age group actually do more charity work than over 24-year-olds,” she said.

Bella was then chosen as one of 10 NCS leaders running the ‘Generation Citizen’ project which supports community projects all around the country and was invited to the Houses of Parliament to speak to a panel of guests including Nick Hurd MP, Channel 4 political editor Gary Gibbon and former Labour MP and Home Secretary David Blunkett.

Speaking at the House of Commons, she said, was “scary… but really interesting”.

“David Blunkett did this beautiful speech about what life was like when he was a teenager and how life has completely changed and how can we make it better — he’s a lovely, really sweet man,” she said.

As a result of her visit to Parliament, Bella has been asked, along with her father and grandmother to take part in a TV documentary called the Evolving Teenager, about how life has changed for teenagers in the last 100 years.

“My nan’s really looking forward to it, she couldn’t be prouder of me,” said Bella.

But Bella is no stranger to the limelight — her ambition is to be a theatre director, and after entering a competition with youth arts charity Ideas Tap at the suggestion of her college tutor, she won the chance to have her own play staged in London last month.

The play, Stuck in Purgatory, explored the morality of religion.

Bella, centre, with other NCS members at her first NCS summer camp in Minehead, Somerset
Bella, centre, with other NCS members at her first NCS summer camp in Minehead, Somerset

“I had two weeks to finish the script, find a cast, have the lighting and set and everything done in two weeks – my friend was still making costumes for me on the bus ride over,” she said.

“It was pretty stressful but it was literally a dream come true for me to see a play I wrote put on in front of people that I look up to it was brilliant.”

Next on Bella’s packed schedule is a project with the International Citizen Service — she’s off to Zambia in August to work with Restless Development, a charity delivering sex education to young girls in the developing world.

But first she has to raise £1,500 to pay for teachers in Zambia and is planning a 70 mile sponsored walk around the Isle of Wight.

The reason Bella is always so busy, she said, is that: “I say yes to everything — I’m so glad I go out there and grab every opportunity.

“It all started when I heard about NCS, at the time I wasn’t someone who volunteered, I would usually go home and sit on the sofa and that would be about it.

“And then I got involved with NCS — and I found out that actually I mattered.

“They were talking to me and asking my opinions… and I thought wow, I’ve my voice can change things, how much more can I do?”

Email bellaas1995@icloud.com to sponsor Bella’s walk.

Main photo: Bella during her visit to the House of Commons

ETF_FPS_campus-banner

 

Salford footballers score double success

Footballers from Salford City College scored double success by winning the British Colleges Sport North West League title days after winning the Under-18 Manchester FA Cup.

They clinched the league title with a 3-0 result against Liverpool’s Elite Academy.

The team also beat Salford-based side Barr Hill JFC 4-1 to win the county cup final.

Head of sports development and team coach Phil Arbelo-Dolan said: “I feel like this season has been 15 years in the making, since we first started a football team at the college and began to compete within the area.

“We have seen some outstanding players and coaches over the years, and this team has not disappointed in the slightest. The lads thoroughly deserve the success they have achieved this year.”

Picture caption, from left: Advanced diploma in sports leadership students Jordan Poole (captain), aged 18, Mike Itela, A-level and Btec student Matty Bablinski, Advanced diploma in sports seadership students Luke Tonge, Josh Livesey, Kalvin Morris, all 17, Erike Souse, and Ben Steer, both 18, celebrate their victory in the Manchester FA Cup final

ETF_FPS_campus-banner