Active IQ, the UK’s leading Ofqual-recognised awarding organisation for the active leisure, learning and wellbeing sector, has launched two Level 3 Diplomas in Personal Training for Health, Fitness and Performance.
Designed with FE Colleges in mind, these truly vocational programmes combine comprehensive theoretical knowledge with practical experience to prepare school leavers to work in the leisure and fitness industry or progress to degree courses.
The Active IQ Level 3 Diploma and extended Diploma in Personal Training for Health, Fitness and Performance are supported by two of the industry’s leading professional bodies – the Chartered Institute for the Management of Sport and Physical Activity (CIMSPA) and ukactive.
Combining college study and work experience with local employers, the qualifications ensure that students will enjoy full educational support and group teaching alongside time on the gym floor working with fitness professionals.
Two variations are available:
- The Active IQ Level 3 Diploma in Personal Training for Health, Fitness and Performance is a smaller qualification that can be combined with other Tech Level, Applied General and/or A Level qualifications.
- The Active IQ Level 3 Extended Diploma in Personal Training for Health, Fitness and Performance is a full time course that includes additional modules to equip students with vocational skills alongside the research skills required for academic study to enable them to access higher education degree programmes.
Both qualifications aim to provide learners with the broad base of knowledge and skills to be able to work in a variety of customer-facing roles within the active leisure industry, including fitness instructing and personal training, as well as being able to access higher education degree programmes.
Who could do this qualification?
Learners must be 16+ years old and have basic skills in communication as discussing, presenting, reading and writing are all involved. A degree of physical fitness is also necessary. On achieving the qualification, learners will be capable of progressing to work as a fitness instructor, personal trainer or administrator in the active leisure industry.
What will they study?
Study areas include exercise and fitness knowledge, planning and instructing gym sessions, planning and instructing personal training, nutrition, technology in sport and exercise, entrepreneurship, marketing, customer service and managing personal and professional development. Students will learn how to:
- Develop their understanding of anatomy, physiology and nutrition and how it relates to exercise and fitness.
- Plan and instruct safe and effective exercise and physical activity sessions.
- Deliver safe and effective personal training sessions.
- Deliver exceptional customer service.
- Manage own personal and professional development.
- Develop enterprise skills.
- Market and sell products and services.
- Understand how technology is used within physical activity, fitness, sport and exercise.
What will they study?
A mandatory requirement is access to meaningful employer engagement such as structured work experience or work placements to develop skills and knowledge relevant to the qualification, managing projects set with input from industry practitioners and attending master classes. Employer engagement shows a clear line of sight to work, enriches learning and raises the credibility of the qualification.
Advanced study options
The qualification is designed to offer entry to employment; however it also provides the perfect platform for learners to progress on to the following qualifications and/or apprenticeship frameworks:
Level 3 Diploma in Exercise Referral
Level 3 NVQ Diploma in Personal Training
Active IQ Level 3 Diploma in Instructing Pilates Mat Work
Active IQ Level 3 Diploma in Teaching Yoga
Level 3 Diploma in Sports Massage Therapy
Advanced Apprenticeship in Exercise and Fitness
Alternatively, learners can progress to higher education degree programmes as the qualifications have been nominated for inclusion in the UCAS Tariff For Higher Education for entry from 2018.